Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wavefunction Collapse: Mastering



I received the revised masters for Wavefunction Collapse's "I Want You" today.  The first version of the song (both radio and video versions) had a flat low end, something that would sound better for broadcast.  The problem is that the kick drum completely disappears in the mix.

I remixed the song, increased the volume on the kick drum and asked Rene at Supreme Mastering to remaster it.  The video version would be more dynamic and the radio one flat.

The revised versions were very good, however, both contained a crackling sound in the file, an artefact of the mastering process.

I asked Rene to have a look and I'm waiting for the result.

It's good to have fresh ears listen to the music, because sometimes you focus so hard on one aspect that you miss others.  In this case, since I did not attend the mastering sessions, when I heard the song, it was the first time I heard it that week, as opposed to the 60th of that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment